Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mel's Colour Challenge


I made this card for a colour challenge set by my sister demo, Mel. The colours were Garden Green, Chocolate Chip, Pretty in Pink and Apricot Appeal. I have to admit, I was stumped for a while with this one - 2 Earth Elements and 2 Soft Subtles! So not Mel.
I decided to ink up a set from the Spring Mini, Always, for the first time. I black embossed the flower-filled heart on Whisper White cardstock and watercoloured it with Watercolour Wonder crayons - Pretty in Pink and Apricot Appeal of course. Then I hit a wall. How could I use the green and the chocolate?
I played around with matting the heart on different combinations of the colours but that just wasn't "doing it" for me. I decided that the card base had to be Garden Green and then had a brainwave - what about a circle aperture in the mat! After that it fell together fairly easily.
I stamped the berry branch from the Always set over the Chocolate Chip mat after I had used my CM circle templates to cut the aperture. Then I cut a circle frame from Pretty in Pink textured cardstock (I just love the textured cardstock, I so have to get more!). The sentiment is stamped in Chocolate Chip on Apricot Appeal. The ribbon is Pretty in Pink taffeta. All the edges of the Chocolate Chip and Apricot Appeal cardstock have been distressed with the Cutting Kit.
There you have it! I'm quite pleased with the end result although I spent this much time on a card for ages. Why don't you give this colour combo a go yourself?

4 comments:

Jemma said...

I love this card Sharon. The green with the chocolate and the pink would've stumped me too, but I love you what you came up with. It's a gorgeous card!

Theresa Momber said...

Dang, girl! This is awesome. You always make such pretty cards!

I am going to try to write up some tips for sponging in the next week or two. Thanks for your lovely comments.

Natasha said...

Really like the aperture Sharon. Adds another impressive dimension!

Unknown said...

Really pretty. Well done, Sharon.