Saturday, June 7, 2008

Worth the Wait - I hope!

Sorry to have been absent for a week. I was away on a training course for my full-time job. But I'm back now and in the last 24 hours I have made 4 new cards - 3 were not even CASEd either! Are you impressed? I am.

This first card used a black scrap from another card using the same technique - split negative. I couldn't through it out (can any cardmaker through away a half-way decent scrap?) so I decided to make a second card. The swirl is from Baroque Motifs. The colour (other than Basic Black and Whisper White which anyone who has done primary school art should be able to tell you are not actually colours) is Purely Pomegranate - my favourite of the current In Colours. I used a rhinestone brad from the Fire colourway for the centre of the card and surrounded it with a hollow scallop. Stylish don't you think?


The next 3 cards all use the Poppin' Pastels technique. I have joined a card swap for June and that is the prescribed technique. I realised that this is one technique that this technique junkie had never tried so I thought I should practise before making the swaps.

This is my first attempt. Do not adjust your computer screens - the image is fuzzy. I learned with this one that it is better not to go too far off the image if you want a crisp outline. I still like the look though. This is one of my favourite flowers at the moment - the tulip from Garden Whimsy. The colours are Rose Red (my favourite red), Certainly Celery, and Barely Banana (straight off the Colour Coach - what would I do without it?). The patterend paper is from the no-longer-available Palette of Prints. Not bad for a first effort, I thought.

I'm happier with the colouring on this one - using a 2-step set makes it much easier to get the crisp outline as you can stamp it in after! The colours here are Always Artichoke, Pumpkin Pie and Almost Amethyst. I used two stamp sets - Heartfelt Thanks for the flower and A Little Birthday Cheer for the sentiment. One of the swap rules is to use eyelets so I added an eyelet to each of the four outside corners but it needed something else. I was immediately drawn to my brand new packet of Linen Thread. Does it work? Let me know what you think.

This last one is my daughter's pick. Again, I used Heartfelt Thanks (as I did for the previous card) but the colours are Rose Red (again!), Always Artichoke and Elegant Eggplant (Colour Coach!). I only received the Jumbo Eyelets this week and aren't they fabulous? The crop-a-dile makes it just too easy to set these babies! I tore the bottom edge of the 2 layers and then sponged with the same colour inks to give some interest and depth to the card. The top layer is also popped up with Stampin' Dimensionals. I personally agree with my daughter. What about you?


Check out my next post for details of a fantastic offer from Stampin' Up and my next class.

No comments: